Definition, Benefits, and Cost
P rofhilo is one of the most popular beauty treatments nowadays since it promises to promote radiance and skin hydration in addition to correcting wrinkled skin that becomes saggy with aging.
This treatment helps to increase collagen and elastin production in your sin using injectable hyaluronic acid.
What Is Profhilo?
Profhilo is a non-surgical skin remodeling treatment. It contains a very high concentration of hyaluronic acid that is designed for people who lost their skin volume and elasticity, especially with aging. (1)
It is not only about plumping and filling aging signs like wrinkles and fine lines, but also about stimulating the skin to produce collagen and elastin by the slow-releasing process of hyaluronic acid in the skin. Stimulating collagen and elastin production improves skin tone, increases hydration of the skin, and reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. In conclusion, the quality of the skin improves significantly for the next 6 months after treatment.
How Does Profhilo Work?
Hyaluronic acid is a hydrophilic substance, which means that it draws and retains water from the body. In other words, Hyaluronic acid works as a hydration agent, not a filler, which is great for people with saggy, tired, dull-looking skin that is full of wrinkles and aging signs. After 3 to 5 days of treatment, the skin will be firm and luminous. (2)
Over the next few weeks of treatment, collagen and elastin production will be stimulated, which makes the skin tighter. The main concept here is that the levels of collagen and Hyaluronic Acid starts to decrease rapidly after the age of 30, which is why the aging signs such as fine lines and wrinkles start to develop after 30. Profhilo simply works by reversing some of these aging changes. The optimal results are usually seen after the second treatment. (3)
What Are the Benefits of Profhilo?
Profhilo has many benefits for the skin including (4):
- Reducing skin laxity significantly.
- Making the skin firmer.
- Restoring the skin volume to get rid of sagging and sunken eyes.
- Making the skin tighter for a youthful, younger appearance.
- Enhancing the production of collagen and elastin in the skin.
- Infusing skin with boosted hydration to keep your look fresh and young.
- Using it to prevent volume loss and skin dullness.
- Making the skin more radiant, which will give your face a glowing appearance.
- Treating multiple body areas including face, neck, décolletage (chest, cleavage, and lower neck), arms, knees, and hands.
Figure 1 – Subject 11 (49 years old): (A) T0 Baseline and (B) T8W 8 weeks after the first injection procedure.
What Does Profhilo Treatment Involve?
Profhilo is usually injected over 2 sessions with 4 weeks between them below the surface of the skin. After the injection procedure, it starts dispersing under the skin’s surface to promote hydration. You do not have to massage the treated areas since there is no risk of developing lumps or nodules.
Profhilo injection works within a 2km radius of the site of injection. Therefore, it only requires 10 injections sites to cover the entire face.
After completing the Profhilo course and getting the 2 injections, intense hydration and enhancement of collagen production are expected. Your skin will glow, fine lines and wrinkles will start disappearing over time, and the treated areas will be smoother and firmer. After 6 months, you may need to get another treatment course to maintain the results.
Figure 2 – Subject 19 (39 years old): (A) T0 Baseline and (B) T8W 8 weeks after the first injection procedure.
What About Profhilo Recovery?
After the treatment, the recovery time is minimal. You will be able to get back to your daily routine immediately after the procedure. However, you should do light activities for the first few days after the procedure. It is recommended to avoid any physical strain or sports activities on the first day. Besides, sauna and steamy baths should be avoided for several days in addition to extreme sunlight or Ultraviolet exposure. (5)
What Are the Side Effects of Profhilo?
All non-surgical aesthetic treatments have side effects, including Profhilo. However, they are minimal and do not remain for a long time. Minimal bruising, swelling, and redness at the injection sites are expected. In most cases, they do not occur and usually disappear quickly after the procedure.
Keep in mind that Profhilo is not recommended for pregnant or breastfeeding women in addition to women who are sensitive or allergic to Hyaluronic acid. (6)
How Much Does Profhilo Cost?
The most common price for a single Profhilo session is £250. Of course, this price varies depending on where you live and how bad the condition is. Keep in mind that you need at least two treatments a month apart. Therefore, you should double the price of a single session.
FAQ about Profhilo
What Is a 3D Biomodelling Treatment?
Profhilo is sometimes referred to as a 3D biomodelling treatment since its effects are not only on your appearance but also on how the body regenerates new cells and renews itself.
In short, Profhilo is one of the best treatments that enable our bodies to do their jobs better than they actually do. It is a highly recommended treatment for people who want to experience transformative effects on their skin appearance and overall health.
Who Is Profhilo Suitable for?
Profhilo is recommended for people over 30 who do not feel comfortable with the laxity of their skin or any visible aging signs such as fine lines and wrinkles.
What Is Profhilo Like?
Profhilo depends on injecting the substances under the skin at certain points using fine needles. On the face, 5 injection sites will be determined on each side to provide you with the maximum results.
The procedure is painless and, in most cases, there is no need to use a topical pain relief cream after it.
Also, it is quick and does not take more than 10 minutes. Therefore, you can get back to your routine immediately after the procedure.
What Are the Contraindications of Profhilo?
Patients who suffer from bleeding disorders or have compromised immune systems such as cancer patients, diabetic patients, or people who have HIV or any infectious diseases should talk to their doctor before considering Profhilo.
Besides, pregnant or breastfeeding women should avoid cosmetic injectable treatments.
It is also necessary to find a high-qualified doctor to do the procedure. (7)
- Cassuto D, Delledonne M, Zaccaria G, Illiano I, Giori AM, Bellia G. Safety Assessment of High- and Low-Molecular-Weight Hyaluronans (Profhilo®) as Derived from Worldwide Postmarketing Data. Biomed Res Int. 2020;2020:8159047. Published 2020 Jun 20. doi:10.1155/2020/8159047
- Sparavigna A, Tenconi B. Efficacy and tolerance of an injectable medical device containing stable hybrid cooperative complexes of high- and low-molecular-weight hyaluronic acid: a monocentric 16 weeks open-label evaluation. Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol. 2016;9:297-305. Published 2016 Sep 26. doi:10.2147/CCID.S114450
- Cassuto D, Delledonne M, Zaccaria G, Illiano I, Giori AM, Bellia G. Safety Assessment of High- and Low-Molecular-Weight Hyaluronans (Profhilo®) as Derived from Worldwide Postmarketing Data. Biomed Res Int. 2020 Jun 20;2020:8159047. doi: 10.1155/2020/8159047. PMID: 32685528; PMCID: PMC7327616.
- Laurino C, Palmieri B, Coacci A. Efficacy, Safety, and Tolerance of a New Injection Technique for High- and Low-Molecular-Weight Hyaluronic Acid Hybrid Complexes. Eplasty. 2015;15:e46. Published 2015 Oct 8.
- Stellavato A, Corsuto L, D’Agostino A, La Gatta A, Diana P, Bernini P, De Rosa M, Schiraldi C. Hyaluronan Hybrid Cooperative Complexes as a Novel Frontier for Cellular Bioprocesses Re-Activation. PLoS One. 2016 Oct 10;11(10):e0163510. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0163510. PMID: 27723763; PMCID: PMC5056743.
- King M. The Management of Bruising following Nonsurgical Cosmetic Treatment. J Clin Aesthet Dermatol. 2017;10(2):E1-E4.
- Homsy A, Rüegg EM, Jandus P, Pittet-Cuénod B, Modarressi A. Immunological reaction after facial hyaluronic acid injection. Case Reports Plast Surg Hand Surg. 2017;4(1):68-72. Published 2017 Jul 19. doi:10.1080/23320885.2017.1356202