Submental fat, more commonly known as a double chin, is a common problem that occurs due to the accumulation of fat under your chin. This fat deposition can occur even if the person is not overweight, and it significantly changes the appearance of one’s face.
The jawline and the chin are important features of the face as they build the facial structure and determine the aesthetics of the face. Deposition of fat or double chin seriously alters the facial structure and aesthetics, for the worse.
The deposition of fat in the submental pocket is a multifactorial process with etiologies including genetics, aged skin, weight gain, and even certain medical conditions like thyroid disorders. Having a double chin can negatively impact one’s self-esteem and self-image, especially if the person is already suffering from body dysmorphia.
Since double chin has a wide range of causes and an even wider range of negative effects, it is important to have economically affordable options to treat it using either topical or injectable tightening agents. But there are way too many treatment options available on the market and not all of them work. We have done extensive research on the ingredients of each product and shortlisted five products that work wonders on a double chin.
1. StriVectin TL Advanced Tightening Neck Cream
Value For Money
- Tightens, lifts, and firms the neck for a more youthful-looking profile
- Smooths the appearance of lines and wrinkles on the neck and décolleté
- Prevent moisture loss and Diminishes the look of discoloration
- Might not work for some people
- Might cause a terrible rash and burning sensation
- Some users say that the texture is strange
The StriVectin TL Advanced Tightening Neck Cream is a unisex cream with a gravitite-CF lifting complex that the manufacturer claims to visibly tighten and firm the neck. This product is a result of the Smart Science ingredient blend that tightens the skin, hydrates the skin, and best of all, removes the signs of aging like fine wrinkles and lines.
The StriVectin TL Advanced Neck Cream is a powerful blend of hyaluronic acid, shea butter, ceramide NG, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, and StriVectin’s patented form of Niacin. All of these ingredients work together to tighten the skin, preserve and repair the skin barrier function, and give a radiating, youthful glow to the skin.
The Glycyrrhiza glabra root has many bioactive compounds that are isolated for ise in skin products like saponins, flavonoids, isoflavonoids, chalcones, and glycyrrhizic acid (1). The root extract has anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, antioxidative, anticancer activities, immunomodulatory effects which help reduce the inflammation of the skin, and de-puff the skin to make it seem tighter in nature (2)
Another equally important ingredient of the StriVectin tightening neck cream is hyaluronic acid, which is widely used in skin products for its beneficial properties. Hyaluronic acid application is associated with increased wound healing and tissue repair processes(3). The wound healing process helps synthesize new collagen and elastin, which helps tighten the skin and remove signs of aging like a double chin. (4)
Overall, all these ingredients blend together to produce one amazing product that will significantly reduce the double chin appearance and correct the hydration levels of your skin.
2. Perricone MD Cold Plasma Sub-D/Neck
Value For Money
- Delivers results that benefit skin on your neck, chin, and jawline
- Improves skins thickness and firmness
- Does not contain parabens and sulphates
- Studies around DMAE and its effect on skin has yet to be reached to discern its real, long-term effect on the skin
- Many users complain about the amount
The Perricone MD Cold Plasma Plus+ Sub-D/Neck cream is a light-weight gel that tightens the neck skin to give the consumer a sculpted jawline and remove the double chin appearance almost completely. This product is fit for all skin types and not only does it reduce the submental fat folds but also reduces the fine wrinkles on the neck skin.
This Perricone MD product is a potent blend of encapsulated caffeine, niacinamide, xanthan gum, peptides, and DMAE that works on hydrating, tightening, and protecting the skin from any environmental or age-related aggressors.
DMAE or Dimethylaminoethanol is a widely popular ingredient in skincare products due to its anti-aging effects. DMAE has been shown to increase the hydration of the skin and increasing the epidermal thickness, hence moisturizing and plumping the skin to make it look youthful and radiant (5). Moreover, it increases the collagen in the skin, which works on tightening the skin and reducing the fine lines of aging (4).
The use of caffeine in this Perricone MD product is a great choice since it works on preventing fat accumulation in the cells, which is the main mechanism of double chin formation (6). Moreover, caffeine has strong antioxidant properties that reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles on the skin (6).
Niacinamide, a potent ingredient, further enhances the effect of other ingredients by improving the appearance of the skin(7). In a clinical trial published in the Dermatologic Surgery Journal, the application of niacinamide was shown to reduce wrinkles and elasticity of the skin, hence tightening the skin(7).
This product works on reducing the signs of aging like wrinkles and increased elasticity of the skin along with preventing any further damage to the skin.
3. Murad Resurgence Rejuvenating Lift for Neck and Decollete
The Murad Rejuvenating Lift for Neck and Decollete cream works on retexturizing and tightening the skin to reduce the crepey tones of the skin and diminish the signs of aging. The product is suitable for all skin types and is free of parabens, sulfates, and phthalates. The main ingredients of the product include phytoestrogen, retinyl palmitate, and Brazilian, bearberry, and liquorice root extracts.
Phytoestrogens play an important role in the prevention of skin aging processes, like wrinkling and sagging of the skin(8). Phytoestrogens also increase collagen and elastin content in the skin and delay the aging of the skin significantly (9).
Another important ingredient is retinyl palmitate, an ester of retinol and palmitic acid, which has effects of retinol on the skin, along with some specific effects of its own. It significantly affects the dermal aging, immune defense, and wound healing processes of the skin, to prevent skin from sagging or drying out (10). It is a potent anti-aging ingredient that works by increasing collagen synthesis, a process normally reduced by aging (11).
The Murad Rejuvenating Lift for Neck and Decollete Cream is a blend of natural ingredients that will leave your skin plumper and younger.
4. Bliss Thinny Thin Chin Neck Firming Cream
Value For Money
- Improves elasticity and firmness
- Protects with antioxidants
- Firms the neck and chest
- Some users find its smell weird and old
- Does not work for some people
The Bliss thinny thin chin neck firming cream is an affordable neck cream that tightens, brightens, and exfoliates the skin to reduce the crepey texture, overhanging skin, and hyperpigmentation of the skin, hence improving the appearance of the neck. The main ingredients of this product include capric triglyceride, algae extract, and sodium hyaluronate amongst others.
Capric triglyceride in this product is a great ingredient with anti-melanogenic, anti-wrinkle, and anti-aging features(12). It works on tightening the skin and brightens the skin significantly, giving it a youthful appearance.
The algae extract used in this product works well with other ingredients and increases skin cell viability and has great wound healing properties (13). The wound healing process results in increased elasticity and collagen, both of which reverse the sagging of skin usually seen due to increased elasticity, hence tightening the skin and reducing the submental fat folds(4).
The use of sodium hyaluronate, a sodium salt of hyaluronic acid has similar effects as hyaluronic acid, and it is responsible for wound healing, furthering the effects of algae extract (3). Furthermore, it improves the rough textures in the skin by adequate hydration and moisturization of the skin (14).
It basically improves the texture of the skin and reduces the signs of aging and the double chin significantly without hurting your finances.
5. VENeffect Firming Neck & Decollete Cream
Value For Money
- Targets the effects of hormonal aging on the neck and décolleté
- Reduces visible fine lines and wrinkles
- Protects from environmental damage
- Does not have many reviews to show users’ experiences
- Quite expensive
The VENeffect Firming Neck and Decollete Creme is a luxuriously moisturizing creme that works purely on tightening the neck skin by enhancing elasticity and reducing the fine lines of aging.
The key ingredients of the product are peptides, Phytoestrogen complex, shea butter, and beeswax, all of which blend together to form a hypoallergenic, cruelty-free, non-comedogenic, fragrance-free, gluten-free, GMO-free, and paraben-free product.
The use of beeswax, a natural ingredient enhances the skin’s barrier function hydrating the skin and reducing trans-epidermal water loss to prevent photo-damage and age-related damage to the skin (15). The functioning of the skin is further improved by the phytoestrogen complex, an ingredient concoction popularly known for increasing collagen synthesis in the skin (9). All the ingredients work together to firm the skin and reverse any signs of aging while also preventing any further aging of the skin.
- Asl, Marjan Nassiri, and Hossein Hosseinzadeh. “Review of pharmacological effects of Glycyrrhiza sp. and its bioactive compounds.” Phytotherapy research : PTR vol. 22,6 (2008): 709-24. doi:10.1002/ptr.2362
- Seiwerth, Jasmin et al. “Anti-Inflammatory Effect of a Novel Topical Herbal Composition (VEL-091604) Consisting of Gentian Root, Licorice Root and Willow Bark Extract.” Planta medica vol. 85,7 (2019): 608-614. doi:10.1055/a-0835-6806
- Keen, Mohammad Abid. “Hyaluronic Acid in Dermatology.” Skinmed vol. 15,6 441-448. 1 Dec. 2017
- Boen, Monica et al. “Skin tightening-does it really exist?.” Seminars in cutaneous medicine and surgery vol. 36,4 (2017): 202-206. doi:10.12788/j.sder.2017.034
- Tadini, K A, and P M B G Maia Campos. “In vivo skin effects of a dimethylaminoethanol (DMAE) based formulation.” Die Pharmazie vol. 64,12 (2009): 818-22.
- Herman, A, and A P Herman. “Caffeine’s mechanisms of action and its cosmetic use.” Skin pharmacology and physiology vol. 26,1 (2013): 8-14. doi:10.1159/000343174
- Bissett, Donald L et al. “Niacinamide: A B vitamin that improves aging facial skin appearance.” Dermatologic surgery : official publication for American Society for Dermatologic Surgery [et al.] vol. 31,7 Pt 2 (2005): 860-5; discussion 865. doi:10.1111/j.1524-4725.2005.31732
- Sirotkin, Alexander V, and Abdel Halim Harrath. “Phytoestrogens and their effects.” European journal of pharmacology vol. 741 (2014): 230-6. doi:10.1016/j.ejphar.2014.07.057
- Liu, Tao et al. “Recent advances in the anti-aging effects of phytoestrogens on collagen, water content, and oxidative stress.” Phytotherapy research : PTR vol. 34,3 (2020): 435-447. doi:10.1002/ptr.6538
- Fu, Peter P et al. “Physiological role of retinyl palmitate in the skin.” Vitamins and hormones vol. 75 (2007): 223-56. doi:10.1016/S0083-6729(06)75009-9
- Farooq, Umar et al. “Comparative efficacy of two anti-aging products containing retinyl palmitate in healthy human volunteers.” Journal of cosmetic dermatology vol. 17,3 (2018): 454-460. doi:10.1111/jocd.12500
- Khmaladze, Ia et al. “A novel multifunctional skin care formulation with a unique blend of antipollution, brightening and antiaging active complexes.” Journal of cosmetic dermatology vol. 19,6 (2020): 1415-1425. doi:10.1111/jocd.13176
- Kim, JongSeo. “Clinical Effects on Skin Texture and Hydration of the Face Using Microbotox and Microhyaluronicacid.” Plastic and reconstructive surgery. Global open vol. 6,11 e1935. 12 Nov. 2018, doi:10.1097/GOX.0000000000001935
- Souza, Carla et al. “Topical Formulation Containing Beeswax-Based Nanoparticles Improved In Vivo Skin Barrier Function.” AAPS PharmSciTech vol. 18,7 (2017): 2505-2516. doi:10.1208/s12249-017-0737-x
- Co, A. C., Abad-Casintahan, M. F., & Espinoza-Thaebtharm, A. (2007). Submental fat reduction by mesotherapy using phosphatidylcholine alone vs. phosphatidylcholine and organic silicium: a pilot study. Journal of cosmetic dermatology, 6(4), 250–257. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1473-2165.2007.00343.x