Hair loss is a common condition that is influenced by genetic, dietary, medicinal, and environmental variables. Hair loss in men is caused by androgenic alopecia, or male-pattern baldness, whereas hair loss in women is caused by medical factors such as hypothyroidism, oral contraceptives, and nutritional inadequacy.
Read our comprehensive guides on hairloss, their causes and solutions here first.
Aloe vera has been used to cure hair loss for a long time. It also moisturizes and calms the scalp. It can help to get rid of dandruff and unclog hair follicles that have been clogged by too much oil.
Several times per week, apply pure aloe vera gel to your scalp and hair. You can also use aloe vera-based shampoo and conditioner.
One research study observed the effects of utilizing a topical herbal formulation including aloe vera barbadense as one of the major constituents. A total of 50 people took part in this investigation. They were all diagnosed with mild to moderate hair loss, as well as dandruff, an inflammation-related ailment that negatively affects the follicles.
The participants were instructed to apply the mixture to their scalps and let it on for 30 minutes before washing it off. For 7 weeks, this was done twice a day. 75 percent of the participants reported a significant reduction in their hair loss as well as the main symptoms of dandruff, which included scalp dryness, irritation, and itching. The individuals also noted an increase in the tensile strength of their hair. (1)
Coconut Oil contains lauric acid, a type of fatty acid that penetrates the hair shaft and prevents protein loss (2). Depending on your hair type, coconut oil can be applied before or after shampooing. If your hair is oily, apply a leave-in conditioner overnight or for a few hours before washing it.
Fish oil is a kind of omega-3 fatty Omega fatty acids, which are high in nutrients and proteins, can help boost your hair from the inside out. Taking an omega supplement with antioxidants can help enhance hair density and diameter. It also helps to prevent hair loss.
A supplement combining omega-3s and omega-6s reduced the amount of hair in the rest, or telogen, stage and increased the amount in the growth stage, according to a study conducted in 2015 with 120 female volunteers.
Participants who had taken the supplement for 6 months reported decreased hair loss and increased growth when compared to a control group (3).
If you can tolerate the odor of onion juice, you might discover that the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. Onion juice has been demonstrated to encourage hair development and effectively treat patchy alopecia areata, an autoimmune illness in which the body assaults hair follicles, resulting in hair loss in various areas of the body (4).
Onion juice is also said to help circulate blood. Improvements in keratinocyte growth factor, a key modulator of hair follicle development and growth, have been seen in animal studies.
Blend a few onions and squeeze off the liquid onion juice. Leave the juice on your scalp and hair for at least 15 minutes. After that, apply shampoo.
Garlic extract may aid hair development by reducing inflammation and modifying the immune system’s function.
In one trial, mixing a garlic-containing gel with topical steroids was shown to be more effective than using topical steroids alone in treating alopecia areata.
In a research study, ten individuals with single or multiple patches of alopecia areata on the scalp (a total of 18 patches) were enrolled. For two months, all patches were treated with topical garlic extract twice daily. A total of 18 alopecia areata patches were treated. This treatment was successful in all patients (100%) (5).
Glycyrrhizin Tablets and Peony Capsules
Traditional Chinese medical therapies derived from the root of the Peony plant and the licorice plant have been found to improve mild to moderate alopecia areata in adults and severe alopecia areata in children.
Compound glycyrrhizin tablets (CGT) and total glucosides of peony capsules (TGPC) are plant extracts that are thought to prevent hair loss by lowering inflammation and suppressing the immune system response.
In a research study in 2013, Total glucosides of paeony capsules (TGPC) and compound glycyrrhizin tablets (CGT) or CGT were given to 117 participants at random. Subjects were given either oral TGPC and CGT or oral CGT alone for a period of 12 months. Alopecia areata severity score, effective rate, and adverse events recorded in the 3rd, 6th, and 12th month were all used as end measures. Both groups’ alopecia areata severity levels were dramatically reduced, with the treatment group’s scores being lower than the control groups (6).
1. Madan A, Arun A, Verma S. A noncomparative open-label pilot study to see the efficacy and consumer response of Vegetal Hair Well in preventing hair fall and promoting hair growth. International Journal of Advanced Research 2014;2(2):475-81.
2. Suryani S, Sariani S, Earnestly F, Marganof M, Rahmawati R, Sevindrajuta S, Mahlia TMI, Fudholi A. A comparative study of virgin coconut oil, coconut oil and palm oil in terms of their active ingredients. Processes. 2020; 8:402. Doi: 10.3390/pr8040402.
3. Le Floc’h, C., et al. (2015). Effect of a nutritional supplement on hair loss in women. https://doi.org/10.1111/jocd.12127
4. Hajare RA, et al. (2013). Onion juice: An effective home remedy for combating alopecia.
5. Hajheydari Z., Jamshidi M., Akbari J., Mohammadpour R. Combination of topical garlic gel and betamethasone valerate cream in the treatment of localized alopecia areata: A double-blind randomized controlled study. Indian J. Dermatol. Venereol. Leprol. 2007;73:29–32. doi: 10.4103/0378-6323.30648
6. D. Q. Yang, L. P. You, P. H. Song et al., “A randomized controlled trial comparing total glucosides of paeony capsule and compound glycyrrhizin tablets for Alopecia Areata,” Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 621–625, 2012.